Hair. Your crowning glory. Women all over the world and throughout time have often heralded their hair, considering the styles they create with it status symbols. Your hair can be seen as a source of beauty, part of a fashion ensemble, and a reflection of your inner self. But one day you look in the mirror and notice your hair is thinning. You saw the signs – there had been a little more hair in your hairbrush than usual or there was a lot left on your pillowcase some mornings – but you didn’t expect it to keep thinning out. Women can lose up to 100 strands of hair every day and that is normal. But when your hair begins to thin you know it. It happens to a lot of women as they get older – it is directly related to change in hair density as women age.
But that doesn’t mean it isn’t concerning.
Watching a change in your hair occur can be a very frustrating thing, especially if there is not a medical reason behind it such as Alopecia. Stress, medication, and heredity aside, hair loss often surprises women even though several women between 30 and 60 have reported thinning hair over time.
But there are things you can do to slow down if not stop your hair from thinning. If you are looking for ways on how to thicken hair, here are some remedies you can try at home:
- Eat right – Hair needs nutrients and vitamins just like the rest of your body does. Make sure you are eating nutrient rich foods that have protein, iron, zinc, and vitamin B12. Lean meats, nuts, beans, fish, and leafy greens have these nutrients in them in abundance. That sounds like you might be in need of a salmon with pistachio and dill crusted goat cheese and lemon vinaigrette salad.
- Reduce the heat – Cutting down on the styling tools you use that require heat such as flat irons and blow dryers will help you to reduce heat damage to your hair. Once you take those out of the equation every day you create the environment for new growth to occur.
- Massage your scalp – You can do this while shampooing or when applying a finishing gloss such as coconut oil. Rubbing your scalp can stimulate new growth and allow for the treatment (shampoo, conditioner, oil, etc.) to be more effective.
- Calm down – The stress in your life could be the cause for your hair thinning. Build in time every day to relax and distress. That can mean taking a yoga class, meditating, or spending time with a girlfriend chatting, taking a walk on a mild evening, or reading a book. Whatever helps you relax is worth trying. Reducing your stress can impact many aspects of your life.
- Change your hairstyle – If you are wearing tight braids or pulling your hair away from your face with a headband every day you could be stressing the hair around your face. Pulling hair is one of the causes of hair loss in women. Change your hairstyle and reduce the stress you are putting on your hair.
- Try a Demi Permanent Hair Color – While constantly coloring hair should be avoided as you are finding the solution for your hair loss, that does not mean you need to completely sacrifice your look. A demi permanent hair color, such as one from the Ion Color Brilliance Demi Permanent line, deposits color onto each individual hair strand and contains no ammonia, giving you the appearance of a fuller, healthier head of hair without adding more stress to your locks.
Thinning hair is a very stressful thing but there are ways to reverse the process. Try these remedies if you are noticing hair loss. There is also one other thing you should keep in mind. Your hair doesn’t make you. It is not the ‘be all and end all’ of you. Your essence, your spirit, and your personality come from a much more beautiful place than what tops your head.
Keep shining, beautiful!