The ombre hair trend has enjoyed immense popularity with celebrities like Olivia Wilde, Anna Kendrick and Khloe Kardashian stepping out on the red carpet showing off this gorgeous look. It’s a trend that’s been around for a few years and one that has inspired other hair trends such as sombre, which is ombre but with a softer, more subtle transition between the shading. Now with color trends pushing all the boundaries get ready to embrace the latest, the colombre hair trend.
Ombre Vs. Colombre
Ombre, a term borrowed from the French and referring to shading, is the distinctive style where the hair is darkest at the roots and then from about mid-shaft the shade lightens with the tips sporting the lightest shade. Ombre hair color falls into the natural color shades of browns, blondes and reds. Colombre takes it to the next level with rainbow colored hair that will turn heads when you walk into the room. Colombre hair may be shades of purple and lavender or a variety of pastels for a truly rainbow look. It’s all up to you — dare to be you and rock the colorful hair you’ve always wanted.
Products Needed to Create the Colombre Hairstyle at Home
With the right styling products, you can enjoy DIY rainbow hair color in the colombre style. The key to coloring any pastel or rainbow shade is taking your current hair color to as pale/light as possible before applying the color. Typically, this means using a lightener product like the Ion Powder Lightener. Other products needed to create colombre hairstyle at home include:
How to Create Colombre Hairstyle at Home
If your hair has already been lightened, skip steps 1 through 7 and proceed directly to applying the rainbow colors. Otherwise, begin with step number 1 for easy, DIY colombre hair.
1. Mix the Ion Color Brilliance Powder Lightener with the Ion Sensitive Scalp Crème Developer.
Note: The developer is designed to help protect against scalp sensitivity during the lightening process. It contains ionic buffers and wheat germ proteins for conditioning.
2. Divide your hair into 4 sections or quadrants.
3. Begin at the back in the nape, create horizontal subsections that measure about 3 1/2″ thick. For denser/thicker hair, work with only 2″ subsections. Backbrush the section with the teasing brush at least 5 times to soften the line of demarcation (the division between the sections.)
4. Apply the lightener generously to the bottom 3/4 of hair and seal with foil.
5. Continue working up the head through each of the sections from the bottom to the top of the head.
6. Follow the package directions and leave the lightener on for the recommended time. Allow hair to pre-lighten to a pale yellow/blonde.
7. Rinse, lightly shampoo and then apply Ion Color Brilliance After Color Treatment before drying your hair completely.
8. Now it’s time for color! Apply your favorite Ion Color Brilliance Brights shade or shades (remember it’s okay to choose more than one color) on your lightened ends. Allow the color to process according the manufacturer recommended directions.
9. Rinse with cool water, lightly shampoo and then style as desired.
Colors for the Colombre Hairtrend
If you’ve always wanted to try a pretty pink or stunning lavender color on your tresses, the colombre style is perfect. It’s a hairstyle that allows for a lot of creativity and personal expression. Try a trio of colors for your colombre locks with our Ion contemporary colors of flamingo, lavender and cyan. Now is the time to try this colorful, beautiful hairstyle. It’s fresh, trendy and the perfect way to show off your personal style.