Putting some effort into the way you look each day inevitably turns into having an unwieldy collection of makeup and tools, as well as hair styling tools and products. The pile grows and takes over your bathroom or vanity table, creating a cluttered space that makes it more difficult to get ready in the morning. Use these tips to simplify your morning beauty routine and get yourself in the right state of mind to start the day.
Sort Through Your Beauty Products
Before organizing, it makes sense to go through the various hair and makeup products that you have to decide which ones to keep and which ones to throw away or give away. If you start with this step, you’ll have less to organize later, making the process more efficient and requiring less organizational space.
It’s easy to purchase beauty products that look fun to try or you plan to use for one event, but those products don’t have a lot of value since you don’t get much use out of them. So when you buy makeup and hair care items, think about whether each product actually works for you and whether you’ll find a lot of occasions to use it.
But for now, let’s focus on the items you already have. Here’s what you do:
- Bring them all out of their hiding spaces so you can see the full collection.
- Throw out expired products right off the bat.
- Get rid of products you don’t like or aren’t likely to use. For this step, think about how products make you feel and look – only keep the ones that work for you. Do you never use certain items? Get rid of them!
- Put duplicates that will last and products for special occasions in a separate area from your everyday products — your everyday-use items should be front and center, and your once-in-a-while items can be stored out of the way.
- Organize beauty products you plan to keep.
Organize Your Tools and Products
The key to organizing small items like makeup and beauty tools is to have the right organizational tools that keep them separated and accessible – then, you also need the space for larger items like a blow dryer. First, decide where you plan to put your items so you can figure out which types of storage items will work best. Do you have a bathroom closet, a cabinet or drawers you can use? Does everything need to go on a counter or vanity table?
Either purchase specific beauty organizers or find other solutions from around the house, such as:
- A magazine holder for storing curling and straightening irons
- Shoe boxes or a cookie jar for your occasional-use products
- A spice rack or cake stand holds perfume, and makeup tubes and bottles
- An ice cube tray or jewelry organizer for small items such as eyeshadow singles
- Cleaned-out plastic ice cream or coffee tubs for holding hairbrushes and hair styling products, such as dry shampoo
- Desk organizers with drawers and slots for storing small products and tools
- Food storage containers for holding cotton balls and more
- A hanging shoe organizer expertly holds and organizes hair products, brushes and hot tools — even blow dryers — in its pouches
- A pencil box or kitchen drawer utensil tray for the slim, cylindrical tools — pencils, brushes and mascara
Once you have your hair and makeup products and tools organized, you’ll get more out of the items you own and get rid of clutter for a stress-free beauty experience.